Honey helps when kids swallow button batteries

According to a new study conducted with pigs, children who accidentally swallow button batteries (eg, batteries) are given honey to reduce the risk of severe injury and death immediately.

“In the United States, buttons are increased by more than 500 times a year, compared to the previous decade, fatal results have increased 12 times in the last decade,” says a co-lead researcher
Dr. According to Ian Jacobs’ study, the news of a pediatric otolingurologist and hospital director of the Center for Pediatric Airway Disorder, Philadelphia’s Children’s Hospital, said in a news release.

Hazardous Effects

In South Africa, in October 2014, two-year-old Alice Swanepel’s tragic death led to the fatal effects of the swollen batteries. Alice was playing when Alice suddenly started throwing away. Once her parents saw the blood, she immediately took her to the hospital, where she became depressed.

Shortly after Ellis’s death, 16-month-old Kelly Garland was admitted to the hospital when her parents found her constant vomiting in the living room. Then the X-ray taken in the morning revealed that a button battery was stuck in the baby’s belly.

The loss of battery caused damage to Kali’s left side of the brain. A neurologist is working with Kelly to control the effects of brain damage on its central nervous system.

Unfortunately, some children save the effects of an injected battery and those who fight for the average life of life.

What does research indicate?

“Battery can be severely damaged in two hours, so the interval between injection and removal is a crucial time to work to reduce asymptomatic injuries.”

When the swollen button battery responds to the esophagus with saliva and tissues, it creates a solution that membranes dissolve and severe damage to the throat, airways, vocal cords and significant cardiovascular, researchers explained.

It takes a long time to remove the battery, increases the risk of serious injury. Researchers used live pigs to test whether honey, juice, soda, and sports drink could provide a protective barrier between various fluids, immersed batteries, and tissues. They found that honey and medicine called surrogate were the most effective.

The study was published online in The Laryngoscope Journal, and the findings are included in the latest National Capital Poison Center Guidelines for the management of battery-operated patients.

“Our recommended parents and carers need to provide honey at regular intervals before a child can reach the hospital, while in a hospital setting, medical people can use a soft pet before removing batteries,” Jacob said. But researchers noted that these substances should not be used in children, which may be due to sepsis or leakage of asparagus, acute allergy honey or sucralfate or small risk of botulism in children under 1 year of age.

“When future studies can help establish ideal volume and frequency for each therapy, we believe these findings serve as a reasonable benchmark for clinical recommendations,” Jacob said. “It is better to do anything safely to store any amount of this liquid before removing the battery.”

Pediatric Otolaryngologist at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, Ohio, another primary researcher of the study, Dr. Chris Jatana, said that shiny metallic batteries should be stored where toddlers can not get them.

“Parents and carers should check all the electronic products at home and make sure the battery is tied to a compartment for which the tool needs to be opened and periodically check to ensure that it is safe,” Jatana said in the news release.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here